Brenden over at Another Here has a new article up about podfading and how it upsets him to see any podcast or blog drop off in activity and die out. What I found really interesting was Brent’s comment about Tobold, a veteran to the blog community.
Everyone knows their work, but do you feel like you know Tobold? Even after 1000 posts, he is still a disembodied (silent)voice in the blogosphere and readers have no idea of what he is all about, as a person. If he started podcasting, that would change overnight.
I’ve only been reading Tobold’s blog for about 6 months and while I understand his point of views on a lot of things and find him to be a really great writer and full of opinion, I really don’t know him. Should I expect more?
While I have been somewhat open about myself here and some of my personal life, I really haven’t divulged much. “About Me” pages sometimes have a bit about the person and why they have this section of the Internet reserved for themselves but more often then not they are just a spot for people to lay out the justification for the site and a quick reference about what people can expect if they decide to come back.
I think the reason I haven’t dropped a post about myself is because I think it would possibly do more harm than good. Maybe by taking a moment here to write down some of the key points that I believe are a real part of me, those that visit here may find some affinity to my musings and also my goals.
Feel free to jump ahead to the disgusting quote of the month.
I’m not a developer or a code monkey. I don’t have a job in the industry or in a field even remotely connected to gaming. At times I wish I did but I think I like my life at the moment. I play games almost every night and waste atleast 2 hours a day at work reading and writing about them. On top of that, I’m being considered for a promotion this month and that is the only thing that has kept me from posting/reading as much as I would like. Its like a scene from Office Space with the exception that the fax machine loves me and I’m in the process courting the rest of the terminals at the company. One can do a lot with an overabundance of printers and outdated scanners, if one was so inclined.
I admire a lot of people but the person that stands out as of late is J.K.Rowling. Anyone who can encourage that many children to read is an inspiration to me. I would love to be able to create something as powerful as that someday but I think my lack of education may hamper that prospect. I only did small stints in college and graduated from a high school that had a larger ratio of animals to students.
I left school after I met my wife and the two of us decided to move to a more “rural” location in Maine. We didn’t get as far into the woods as I had originally intended us to go because there are just some things I can not live without, Internet being one of them. I’m lucky enough that I pay for a house (banks like deeds) that isn’t sucking the life out of me every month and somehow manages to keep me warm and dry. I’m still hoping that some old loon back in the 1900’s left a cash box in the wall or floors but I don’t have the energy to look for it.
- I hate having to feed my body every night but I love eating good food. We have the longer lasting lightbulb, can we work on the longer lasting sirloin now?
- I like small cars but I hate maintaining anything about the automobile.
- I hate flying but I see no way getting around this as I plan on going to my first game conference in 2008, still have no clue which one.
- I only look at the pictures in manuals.
- I haven’t read as many books as I should have yet I live within a half a mile of a library and my bus stop in high school was the first library in the nation. Go figure.
- I’m a good father but would make a really bad godfather. (not like the movie)
- I found religion once. I was told it wasn’t a real religion so now I’m lost again I guess.
- I love playing board games but I am the worst loser ever.
- I spend, at a minimum, 1 hour every night lying in bed before I fall asleep.
- I roll my own cigarettes and continue to smoke even though I know its bad for me.
- I don’t like being drunk but I love Baileys in coffee or hot chocolate on a winter morning.
- If I won anything more than$50,000 dollars I would leave my job tomorrow.
- If I won anything less than $50,000 dollars I would have a kick ass contest on this blog.
- …. and I would subscribe to VirginWorlds.
- If I won a dollar, I would by a Twix and eat them both.
- If I could play any game right now it would probably be Call of Duty 4. I need a better video card apparently. (Damn you Shader 3.0!)
And now for this month’s Disgusting Quote:
“Well when I get to Hell I’m going to miggs the Devil.”
“No way man, you’d end up in the Pit of Miggs’n!”
I told you it was disgusting.
I love my office.